You keep observing that your neighbor’s dog is showing all the affection and respect to its master and you also feel like having a dog as a pet.
A dog is a fiercely loyal, lovable, faithful and even a useful pet. As American humorist Josh Billings said “a dog is the only the only thing on the earth that loves you more than he lovers himself.” However, before you get a pet dog, evaluate many additional duties and responsibilities that come your way. This blog gives a simple checklist that you should evaluate before having a pet dog. After all, a dog is no less than a family member.
Having A Pet Dog Is A Full Time And Long Term Responsibility
1. No extended periods of a locked home: Can at least one person in your family remain at home for 24 hours to accompany the pet? A dog, without seeing his masters, becomes restless after spending at the most 3 to 4 hours locked alone in a house.
2. Medical attention: Is there a reputed veterinarian in your area? Apart from the dog’s quarterly and yearly vaccinations, the dog may need a medical attention at any point of time.
3. Living and medical expenses of the dog: Are you willing to spend on pet’s medication around Rs.2000-Rs. 4000 per year (on pet vaccination?). There will also be additional monthly expenses on dog’s diet, grooming, soaps, shampoos, hygiene medicines, occasional kennel charges and initial grooming by a dog trainer. In case of some more health issues, the medical expenses are on higher side.
4. Dog’s grooming: Will someone in your family bathe the dog at least once every fifteen days? The dog will also need frequent brushing of it’s coat.
A Dog Needs Substantial Daily Exercise and Physical Activity
5. Veg or non-veg diet: There are mixed opinions on whether a dog can be fully vegetarian. If you are a vegetarian family and would also like to feed only vegetarian food to your pet dog, consult your veterinarian. The vet can suggest the best food option for your dog based on the dog breed. In case, you need to feed meat to your dog, you need to plan who in your family will feed occasional meat to the dog.
6. Exercise and activity: An agile animal like a dog needs physical activity and exercise daily. Will there be someone in your family to take out the pet at least twice (minimum 15 minutes each) every day for the walk and physical activity?
7. Space at home: Does your home have enough space to allow the pet to move around? You should not chain the dog within the home for extended periods of times.
8. Hygiene: Despite the best training, the dog at times can relieve itself or vomit inside your home. You need to plan for this occasional cleaning need.
The dog at home can shed its hair coat at least twice a year and naturally your home will have traces of the shed hair coat on the floor, furniture. The coat shedding problem will need you to frequently vacuum your home, wipe the furniture.
Evaluate Properly Before Deciding To Have a Pet Dog
9. Family liking for pets: Is there near unity within the family to own the dog? Are all family members in your home pet lovers? These are critical questions because the dog will be unable to isolate any person who dislikes dogs and will shower the person with all affection. At the same time, the person who dislikes the dog may be frightened if the dog tries to play with her/him.
10. A multi-year responsibility: Owning the dog is a long duration responsibility. Most dog breeds live up to 13 to 17 years. Think twice before getting a dog. You see many abandoned dogs on the streets. This abandoning is emotionally traumatic for the dog.
11. Kennel arrangements: If you and your family go outstation frequently, then you need to keep the dog in a reputed kennel. You also need to manage the emotional stress this situation creates on your dog. A dog is not just about giving him only food, the animal is extremely emotionally attached to its masters. It gets stressful when it does not see his masters for a few days.
A pet dog needs a lot of care and time investment from you. However, the dog will pay you back many times more than investment with his faithfulness, loyalty and affection. In addition to the above mentioned points, consult your veterinarian or a reliable dog trainer/expert before you go for the final decision. Evaluate any more specific points about your home setting or dog breed. Finally, if you decide to have a dog pet, congratulations! Most people will certainly feel that they made one of the best decision of their life of owning a pet dog.
Do you have any tips of your own on making the pet dog owning decision? Do share your comments.
You have got a pet animal at your home. You wish to give it the best care in return of unconditional love that the pet has for you. Here are nine useful and informative sources for India based pet owners.
Recreation For Pets
The summer months as well as holiday season are approaching. You are planning that well deserved grand holiday travel with your family. You wish to take a splash in the pool to escape the scorching heat.
So do only human beings feel the heat of the summer? Or do only human beings need a change from the routine? Well even animals are no exception. Have you thought of your pet dog or cat?
The resort keeps conducting many events related to pets. The resort offers many services such as boarding , old age home, critical care for pets. Check out their website. The website has a rich blog as well on pets' care.
Dogs Also Need Recreation and Outdoor Activities
Pets' Care Magazines
2) Dogs and More:There are overall lesser number of magazines dedicated to pets’ care, especially pets' care, as applicable in Indian conditions. Dogs and More is one such magazine. The magazine is kind of "know the world of pets" in all respects.
It has breed introduction articles, interview of kennel owners, news about dog shows, interviews of proud pet owners, news snippets about pets and animal kingdom all around the world. The magazine is available for subscription and in online format onMagzter. The magazine’s own website is http://www.dogsandmoreindia.com/
Reputed Pets' Magazines, Television Shows, Are Good Sources of Information About Pets
Television Shows on Pets Care
3) Heavy Petting: NDTV Good Times. This TV channel used to run a popular TV show called “Heavy Petting”. However, some excellent videos of the show are available on their YouTube channel NDTV Good Times with video titles starting with “Heavy Petting”.
They have episodes dedicated to a particular dog breed, some of the episodes are dedicated to a location- Goa, Sri Lanka, etc. Majority of the episodes are about passionate pet lovers and pet owners including celebrity pet owners. Happy watching!
4) Pet Care on DD National ( Saturdays 5:30 PM) Dr Sud and Dr. Sharma participate in this show. The format of the program is, viewers ask questions about health or other problems their pets are facing and the guest doctors guide on the solution or treatment.
The program also shows intermittent clips of various breeds of dogs and other pets Viewers can submit the videos of their pets if they have any special video of the pet activity such as dog playing with family etc.
You too can make a use of this show to ask your questions about your pet and know solutions to general problems pets face.
Always Keep Learning More About Your Pet
Useful India Based Pets' Websites
5) Kennel Club of India (KCI) It is the official website of Kennel Club of India. They have good information like what one should ask the breeder while adopting a pet and the calendar of KCI events such as dog shows throughout India.
One good thing you realize is you can register your dog with KCI, even if it is not a pedigree dog.
The KCI website has addresses and contact details of all regional kennel clubs in the country.
6) DogSpot.in: It is a very largely followed pets' website in India. This website is mainly for online ordering of pets’ supplies such as pet food, pet grooming products, leashes and toys and much more.
The website has many useful articles such as tips for making dog food at home, fresh food tips for a healthy dog and much more. The website has a very interesting feature of suggesting dog names based on breed and gender of your dog.
The website has several articles on grooming, training, traveling with dogs and much more. All in all, a very good source of information about dogs.
7) Petsworld.in-: This is one more popular pets’ website. This website is also mainly about pets’ food, toys, grooming products, dog cages and beds and many more pets' items for online ordering.
Additionally, this website too has many useful blogs and articles about pets. This is another very good source of dog supplies and information about dogs.
A Well Cared For Pet Is A Bundle Of Joy !
Mobile Apps for Pets' Care
Finally, can any discussion be complete about anything without discussing, mobile apps. associated with any topic? While there are hundreds of mobile apps. about dogs and pets' care, we give some useful ones from Google Play Store that you can immediately make use of- 8) Dog BreedsbyWisteria Stone Soft This app. has family tree of dogs. The app. seems to be in continuous evolution as it has very recently added 4 new dog breeds to its directory.
9) Dog Health by Luca Biasotto This app is about keeping all relevant details of your dog’s health parameters such as weight, date of birth, vaccinations, medications. It has a paid pro version as well.
These are of course just two of the many mobile apps. that dog lovers can download. There are apps for dog screensavers, dog’s noise ringtones, apps dedicated to a specific dog breed and many more.
Needless to mention, use all the information wisely. Take opinion of your pet’s vet before starting any new diet or training regime with your pet.
Take Your Pet With You on A Holiday Travel
10) CollarFolk Come holiday season and pet owners are in a dilemma. They want to enjoy holidays with their family. Their pet is also as much a member of their family as anyone else. However, the pet owners have nagging questions in their mind- how can I take my pet on a holiday travel with me? Especially in India, there had been lack of authentic information of pet friendly staying options and how to take care of pet during travel.
However, no more worries on this front. You now have answers to your queries and needs for taking your pet (a dog or a cat) on a travel with you. Visit CollarFolk, an innovative idea by Rukmini Vaish, who herself is a pet parent.
CollarFolk offers on their website a selection of pet friendly staying options, cab services for pets and other services such as names of breeders, day boarding options for your pets, veterinary services in the vicinity of your search location. CollarFolk also has informative blogs on its website to help you take care of your pet, mainly during travel.
Hope you have got all that is takes to get started in the exciting world of pets as a proud pet owner. Do you have something to share on your own experiences of pet care? Do let us know. Happy petting!