New year resolutions are often times subject of jokes and justifiably so, because all relevant research/survey statistics is unfavourable to them. The success rates of new year resolutions are abysmally low, over the years and throughout the world.
However, is the idea of new year resolutions that insignificant? Well, as with any resolution or goal, a lot of perseverance is always necessary. New year resolutions can be a good idea if one sticks to a few guidelines. New year can be a good option to reset yourself and start afresh.
So here are some simple yet sensible steps, that you can take for enhancing success rate of your new year resolutions or for that matter resolutions made any time of the year.
Photo Credit: Wavebreak Media Ltd / 123RF Stock Photo
1. Make milestones based resolutions: If you have not jogged or exercised for years, then there is no point in saying that I will jog for 1 hour from 1st January at 5 AM every day. It is better to make this goal in steps- 30 minutes X 5 days in January, 30 minutes X 7 days in month 2 , 40 minutes X 7 days in month 3 and so on.
Photo Credit: Dmitry Rukhlenko / 123RF Stock Photo
2. Balanced resolutions: Make resolution complementary to all aspects of your life. No point in making a wealth creation resolution at the cost of taking a toll on health. Have resolutions, albeit small, around major walks of life- health, career, family, financial. At the same time, restrict your resolutions to two or three maximum at a time.
3. Make your resolutions known to your near and dear ones: There is always that extra “good” pressure to stick to resolutions when you make these known to a few more people. Just scribbling the resolutions in one corner of your diary will serve little purpose. There is also a “smart” way to use your smart phone to remind you of your resolutions (read step 8 in this article). Use "post-it" notes and screensavers on your laptops as well so as not to lose the site of resolutions.
4. Integrate resolutions into your daily activities: Make the resolutions part of your daily activities to enhance their success rate and not a standalone activity. If you are yearning for to spend more time with your parents, explore whether you can drop and pick up your parents to nearby walking track cum garden on your way to Gym in your car.
5. Understand your basic preferences: Make resolutions that suit your other daily activities. Suppose you have substantial time demands on weekdays in work and at home and your part time course needs daily classroom sessions in other part of the city. It is anybody’s guess, that the resolution has lesser chance of success. It is wiser to select course that needs classroom sessions on one of the weekend days, even if it is for extended period of time. Still better to opt for online studying options if feasible.
6. Reward yourself but do not penalize : Resolutions regime can falter at times. You might have given up your jogging for a week because there was a wedding in your family. Disregard a minor lapse in your resolution ritual to overwhelm you. Simply resume again. However, whenever you have achieved a significant milestone, reward yourself. If you have jogged as per your plan for two months, reward yourself a new pair of jogging shoes.
7. Have the risks and rewards in sight: Write down your resolution(s) in such a way that you write both benefits and also what you will lose, if you give up on those resolution(s). Have a glance at those resolutions sheet on a daily basis. You can also use your smart phone to detail out your resolutions by installing relevant apps. (Refer step 8 below)
Photo Credit: Scott Betts/ 123Rf Stock Photo
8. Make your smart phone your resolution keeper: There are many mobile apps available to help you to keep up with your resolutions. You can have multitude of analysis performed on your resolutions as to how these are progressing, reminders, motivations and so on. However these apps are like your well-wishers. Final step (determination) has to be in yourself. A classic example is, “the alarm clock”, the yesteryears’ “wake up app”. You must have come across instances more often than not, wherein one keeps hitting the snooze button on the alarm clock and finally wakes up 2 hours later than scheduled time.
9. Consult experts: Last but not the least, for a major resolution in any facet of life, consult an expert- your physician, a financial consultant and so on. A proper consultation will ensure you charter the course of your resolution in a scientific and more proven manner.
Do let us know your inputs and all the very best for a fresh set of “new( year) "resolutions
More GEM( Go Extra Mile) Blogs